Tuesday, June 29, 2010

EDC 2010 (The Other Side of the Story)






The reason I am writing this is because I have realized how diferent my outlook is on Electric Daisy Carnival than alot of other people.

I want to start off by mentioning that I DID have alot of fun. My friends are the reason I breathe. They made EDC weekend the amazing experience that i had. I, more than ever, have amazing people who love me and appreciate me in my life and I thank all of you!

Where do I begin...?

Electric Daisy carnival is a 2 day event held at LA Memorial Coliseum. This year 2010..there was 185,000 people. The biggest electronic music festival outside Europe.

It's something I had to experience. Went last year for my 21st birthday and this year for my 22nd and it seemed so different to me. Maybe I have changed alot in the last few years or maybe I just have a different out look but I cant give up this feeling that EDC wasnt half of what I expected. 185,000 people is alot to handle and everyone knows that with that amount of people things can not go perfect. People as young as 12 were at this event and the majority of people had less than underwear on to cover their bodies. 13 year old girl in underwear and who knows what sex offenders are following them.

The biggest thing that I noticd and saw around me was the amount of drugs that go into that place. The amount of drugs that each person consumes..not to mention the ancohol which is totally different subject.. (I guess this could go for any huge music event). I could honestly say that 90 or more percent of the people walking around and walking past me were out of their minds on like likes of any drugs you can imagine..lots of hallucinagens and a obscene mount of ecstacy and every other thing you could think of. Not just hangin out but the people were running around everywhere with their eyes rolling back in their heads...talking to themselves...screaming at nothing...not to mention the perverts and weirdos everywhere. You could not have a decenct conversation with 95 percent of the people you crossed. Remember there was people here as young as 12 and yes some were on drugs and smoking and drinnking.

These events are for the love of the music and more and more it seems to be turning into the love of the drugs. This saddens me. This is supposed to be grounds for Peace and love..yet everywhere there is more violence than you can imagine. Fights around every corner, people rushing the fences, people getting trampled and getting their faces smashed, plenty of police brutality and beating going on. I guess that is the price you pay for having this huge of an event in the middle of Los Angeles. I personally almost got into a fight with 3 guys, knowing I was a girl and repetitavly slamming into me and pushing me and throwing elbows my way when all Im trying to do is get heavy on the dance floor and love it like everyone else. I saw a video of fence hopping and little girl get her arm broken and her face smashed and bloody from people trammpling over her... at the same time that happened a dude was overdosing and having a ceasure on the ground and people were still running over him.

Friday night I left completely sober with probably the only other 2 sober people in the place and we sat for an hour just watching THOUSANDS of people getting in their car and driving so fucked up that they cant see straight. Imagine how many accidents and people were injured and died AFTER the event.

Over all there was 226 or more people who suffered major injuries and about 115 of them had to go to the hospital. Just on Saturday night there was 63 people arrested. It has not been reported that anyone died this year.

Imagine everything I didnt see that im sure was out there and resulted from this event..people getting left aone in the middle of LA, people geting raped, people getting stolen.

This weekend was life changing. I will NOT be attending any more massives EVER. I will pray that I never have to step foot into LA again. My heart goes out to anyone who feels the same way as I do. I would love more than anything for people to let me kow how they feel about the event or issue or my opinion.

I will continue going to music festivals and openin my heart to the people and the music that I feel is real. Out there at smaller music festivals with the like of dub and electro and indie and all of the above I have had the most fulfilling times of my life. I will not be missing out on anything. I have already seen or will have the opportunity to see any DJ i want to without going to a massive. I will continue to meet amazing people who I will welcome into my life and who want to enjoy the journey of life with me. I will spend a rediculously less amount of money to continue supporting my festi habit and camping and meeting real people. Thats whats good. So long far out. Remember I love you all!

9 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you. It seems like it would be fantastic to go to something like that. But people are too out of control and take it too far with things. I feel for the people who got hurt because of the dumbasses who couldnt have patients. It is so sad. People need to realize that there are other people there too. Not jus them! it is ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kodii,

    Well put. I had a great time on friday. i was sober until about 11PM. and to be honest, i was naturally high from the music and crowd all around me. I felt a collective energy that is more powerful than any drug ive tried. This "natural high" carried through the whole day. I TOTALLY agree with what you have to say about EDC becoming more about the love of the drugs instead of the music. I saw a ton of my friends pop pills and doses after 1 hour of the gates opening. I knew they weren't thinking right or feeling good in the heat in the middle of the day. That lifestyle and impulsive drug use needs to change REALLY FAST.
    However, Its difficult to fully commit to never going to another massive. there are too many great artists and experiences to be had. Remember everyone you met there 1 year ago? If you didn't go to LA this weekend, when would you ever get to see them? And I would have never been able to know them (and i am truely greatfull you introduced me to all of them. They are all cooler than most of my frendz back home.)
    I really hope you reconsider and decide to go to another massive again. I know the lack of respect for the venue that i saw happen all around both days tarnishes the reputation of massives and the people attending. I really hope people will be able to have some more common sense next year.
    I enjoyed reading this piece. You have great way of explaining in order to make your point. Your facts about the number of people injured and arrested were interesting. It also flowed very well! I am totally down with festivals and i now want to experience every type of festival that comes around. keep me posted if you ever hear about one and we will definitely kick it more when your in reno.

    -Love-
    PABLO

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved it. The music is my drug! When I hear music like that I get high off it. Yea people do drugs n stuff, but whatever. Im here to have my fun =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate how EDC is held streets from my house. The event did not permit sleep. In all honesty, I dislike the music. It's new age taken way wrong. If you're into new age music. You should be listening to LUCKY DRAGONS!. I assure you that 12 yr. olds will not ruin the experience. There's a lot of great experimental bands in l.a. that are not ridiculous as the "raver" scene. Most people in that scene are incredibly ignorant, it saddens me. The raver scene cannot compare to the true love of the hippy era, it just can't!!. Those people were true metaphysical beings, as oppose to the childish stupidity of the raver crowd. Los Angeles is a great city, you just have to know the right people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Should I go for the massive one next time or no?

    I totally feel the same way as you, I am over think myself whether i should attend another massive raves because I had heard that the 15 years old girl died because of OD and i have watched the jumping fence video. It was horrific, people paid a high price to get hurt at EDC and i think its not worth it. I personally love EDC and the music. I had been attending EDC for 3 years but i have never try E. I don't need E to make me happy, music is simply my drug :D high 5! I think you should check out the news on fox about the girl who died after EDC.

    PS: I hope this will never happen again and for all of you guys who love music out there please be safe next time and take this event as consideration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am really happy to hear that u will be attending the smaller ones. You are like my lil sis and i know music festivals are your love and life (which i love about u)but i worry when i see footage like the fence hopping video. You are very right in all of this and i hope MANY people read this entry. The drugs people are taking now are so diffrent from the stuff the hippies of the 60s took. People today are so jaded and desperate to force themselves to enjoy this event, that they over do it and people are so volitile that it takes almost nothing to push them over their edge. And if it was as bad as people walking around with their eyes rolled up and screaming at people that arent there, there is a problem. Unfortunatly there isnt really a way to fix it. We cant get a pannel of 3 judges to come to a unanimous decision on a tv show let alone make 185,000 people chill the f out and take it easy...not in 2010. These festivals are for music lovers to come together and enjoy the artists and co habitate for a couple days, not an excuse for massive drug use and causeing hate and discontent. Sorry native "Angels" but despite the great bits of LA and the artistic variety, there is a massive dark underbelly, like most cities of that magnitude. Holding a festival in the middle of LA seems.....like asking for what happened. I am glad some people were chill and really enjoyed themselves, but like Kodi said, maybe 5-10% of them were there for the right reasons and the rest to "get fucked up" for the weekend. If u need hard drugs to see the colors and life....that makes me sad, I was there once a long time ago, but like Kodi i had my eye opening experience and learned just to appreciate everything and everyone in my life and love my life for what it is. You will make yourself miserable if you try to live a life that is not yours. Thanks for the enlightening epose on the event, i hope some people learn something.
    luv, Rose

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank You to every person who wrote me back. I really appreciate the feedback. <3 I hope I helped open peoples eyes to whats really out there. I love the event and music but its just not worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The scene has changed alot. I was in the bay area underground scene in the 90's and the vibe was unbelievable during the home base days. I swear, in the main room at home base, you would see many circles formed for people to dance and show their latest moves. There were many people taking pictures of other's unique outfits, people sharing water, smokes, candy, massages and people taking care of each other.

    Now, the scene is all about the drugs and not so much about the music or the scene. The raves are starting to attract the ghetto crowd which I dont have a problem with them but some of them are the ones that start shit with others and are the ones that usually fight at these events. I swear I never saw a candy kid fight at an event. What happened to the candy kids? When I come to electronic music events, I want to see the prestige DJ, dance and have a good time. I dont know what more to add but the vibe is just not the same anymore and I really hate that the stupid people caused the scene to add the extra R to PLUR'R'. RESPONSIBILITY. Everyone should party responsibly. Dont over do it.

    I am a DJ if you like electro, checkout my soundcloud page. Peace
    www.soundcloud.com/jonjai

    ReplyDelete